originally named Berkshire County Asylum
opened september 1870
closed april 2003
Charles Henry Howell (1868-70 and 1877-8)
George Thomas Hine (1897- 8)
C.B. Willcocks and Greenway (1929, 1934)
Sir Philip Powell (1954)
Until 1868, Berkshire's insane were housed in the Oxfordshire asylum at Littlemore. However as the asylum became ever more overcrowded, Berkshire decided to build an asylum of its own in Moulsford. The main hospital block was designed by Charles Howell and housed 285 patients.